Some 300 meters south of the large rock-cut temple is a small one. Like
the large temple it is also on the eastern side of the wadi. This small
temple was cut out of the rock face some two meters above the wadi floor.
It once had a front with three doors, each one adorned with a solar
disk with crowned cobras. When Guiseppe Belzoni saw the small rock temple
in 1818, the inscription above the entrance was still largely intact.
This Roman inscription of the 3rd century AD was probably applied in
connection with a reshaping of a centuries older mine shaft, tomb or
temple. It is an account of the commissioner, naming the gods the temple
was devoted to, and even contains the name of the town:
"…and to our Lady Isis of Senskete (Sikait)…and
to Apollo, and to all the other gods enshrined with them…"
Nowadays most of this inscription has been destroyed, as most of the
front of this temple has fallen victim to vandalism. To protect the
temple against collapse, our project built several supporting structures
of local stone in winter 2003.